Located on the access road to Paderne Castle, its existence dates back to the 18th century. Due to its importance in supplying water to the population and washing clothes, it was protected by municipal legislation at the time and the judge and clerk were responsible for its good state of conservation and hygiene. At a time when there was no distribution of water, the existence of public washhouses was not dispensable. In 1910, Ataíde de Oliveira, when referring to the fountain that provides water to most of the parish, also makes reference to the washerwomen's tank, whose water runs from the fountain to the tank, through an open pipe at the water level of that fountain.
The place for washing clothes was something similar to a tank with a central water stream where the washerwomen stood with the water up to their knees and there they washed their clothes on some stones.
The fountain was a place of conviviality, where the people who lived on the surrounding hillsides and the castle slope would meet and socialise.
In the mid-20th century, the old well gave way to the current fountain, and the water tank for washing clothes gave way to the current washing-house. Some locals still go to the Fonte de Paderne to get fresh water.
The Paderne Fountain is the only point of discharge of water from the Querença-Silves aquifer in the municipality of Albufeira. A charismatic place that should certainly be visited.